Isn't she cute? I love her. She has brought more joy and laughter to our little family in 3 years than we ever thought possible. She's the silliest, happiest, most loving little sheltie ever. And, according to BFF S's daughter, Katie, she and Hanna are friends (and can I tell you that I almost cried when I heard about that?).

Hanna was diagnosed with renal failure back in November and it broke my heart. Although, the blessing of it is that she will be fine until the very end. We caught it early, and everyone at the vet's office is optimistic that will fluid treatments every 3-4 weeks, she can live much longer than expected (which is 6-12 months).

We took her in for fluids on Jan. 19th, and then after a few days of hunger striking, me having to drag her down the street on her walks, we decided we'd take her in for another round of fluids and see if that helped.
It didn't. She's still on a hunger strike (I may have even offered her steak, peanut butter, Yoplait, waffles and chicken. Nothing!). The vet suggested blending her food into liquid form. She didn't like that either. Then, after regular gagging from 7PM until 8AM, I frantically called the vet again (can you imagine me with actual children?).
The loving husband dropped her off on his way to class and they are doing a full blood work up, plus a giardia test. I never thought I'd be praying that my dog has giardia--but, I am. If she has giardia (which she could have gotten from our winter time pool--gross!), it would actually explain a lot (the hunger strike, the tummy sickness, low energy, etc) and be a huge blessing, because it is treatable and she'd be back to her normal self in a few days. Yes, she would still have renal failure, but, she was doing so well. I can handle her having another ailment. The vet thought she looked great last Friday, which, makes me so hopeful that she's just "sick". We're leaving tomorrow for Florida, and, I'm so nervous about leaving her. But, if we have care instructions and antibiotics, I'm a happy camper.
So, that said, please say a little prayer for my HRH Hanna Banana Princess Puffy Cheeks that she has something treatable and will be back to her silly, happy, waffle stealing, jumpy dog in a matter of days.
**Update**
At 11:30 we received word that it isn't looking good. The levels they used to check her kidneys are now at 11. In November, she was "elevated and worrisome" at 1.3. She also has too much phospurus in her system. They are now worried that she has acute renal failure on top of chronic failure. My husband is on his way to pick me up from work and we are going to meet with our team of vets (yes, there's a team.... appearently.). I don't know what will happen. They are not optimistic.


23 comments:
Oh no! I'll certainly be praying for Miss Hanna -- let us know what you find out from the vet!
Hope Hanna is ok. She's a cutie. I like the new blog look as well.
Aw, your poor puppy! I hope things turn out ok...
Oh my friend, I know what it's like to worry about a dearly loved pet! Especially when they can't tell you what's wrong and where it hurts. Hanna Banana will be in my prayers -- the Lord loves all His creation and Hanna is no exception!
Oh no!!!! I am so so so so sorry!! Please keep us posted. You are in my thoughts!!! xoxo
*HUGS*
OH NO! I'm definitely saying a prayer for your precious little baby.
Oh no!!! How scary. I am praying for you all, keep us updated!
Oh no, I am sorry to hear that you are going through this! Please keep us posted. Hang in there. Be strong. I know it must be so hard.
I am SO SO SO SO SO sorry... I know exactly how you feel! I WILL PRAY! But Vets are absolutely amazing! They saved Thumpers life.. with the equipment/technology they have nowadays... it's simply amazing.
LOVE.
oh my gosh I am so sorry!!! this post made me cry! I am such an animal lover. this breaks my heart! Please keep up updated!!
I found your blog through a bunch of other blogs that I read and I'm commenting for the first time to give you a hug and tell you that I'm thinking of you and your family. I love my two dogs as much as you do Hanna and I know you are going through hell. As I recently told a friend who was going through the same thing, we need to as unselfish with our pet's health as they have been to us their whole lives and be ready to let go if it's time. But I hope it's not and that she bounces back. Vets can do amazing things. Good luck and please keep us posted.
I'm so sorry. We can all relate to the love you have for your puppy. We have a very old dog and it breaks my heart to watch him age. Best of luck to her. We will be praying for all of you!
I'm so sad for you. I know how hard it is to have a sick pet. I hope she gets better!
No, no, no!! I am so sorry. You are all in my prayers.
HRH Hanna is so lovely, by the way. I grew up with a Sheltie, and they are just the most loyal, intelligent dogs.
I'm so sorry! I'll be giving up prayers for your pooch, I hope it goes as well as it possibly can!
So sorry to hear about your dog. I hope the Vet can do something for her. I know she is your baby!
I hope your package arrived OK, I never heard that you had received it. Have fun on your trip. Love & blessings in NC!
Oh girl- I'm so sorry to hear your baby isn't doing too great! Those pets just tug on your heart strings sometimes- but Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us- even our furry little friends! :)
Prayers are coming your way!
That is just awful. You and your fabulous baby will be in my prayers!
OH SP, I'm so sorry she's not well. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet poochie. I love dogs, (kitties too) they become such members of the family. We had to put our sweet doggies to sleep about two years ago. Still miss them.
I love your new header. April did a great job!
Oh no!!
She is just so cute. I have a sheltie also and they are just the best dogs ever.
I'm so sorry - I'm thinking of you.
p.s. love the new header - i want to get mine done too!!
She is such a gorgeous dog, and I'm so sorry and sad that you lost her. I know what it feels like and it's SO sad.
Post a Comment