First things first, I stopped at 7-11 this morning because I was about to fall asleep driving to work and got a Big Gulp of DC. I feel like I'm in undergrad all over again. I have not been this tired in ages--ages I tell you! Battling a cold for a week +, work, running and a sick doggie have made me a tired lil lady. Let's hope this bad boy kicks in soon!
OK, that's out of the way....
So, as you know, my first (because there will be more damnit!) marathon is in exactly one month (one month?! ::does freak out dance::--and yes, I'll always remember your birthday, Sam) and although the last few months have been challenging (injury, mystery illness of death, going back to school, having a cold from hell), the last few days or so I've really been lucky enough to remember why I run and how much I love it.
I really worried that I would burn out on running before my marathon and just hate it by the time I hit the start line. Huge fear. Huge. And I won't lie, the last few months have made me debate my love for the sport.
But, luckily, recently running a 15K with a good friend of mine and having a kick ass 20 miler under my belt, I think I'm finally coming into my own with running. I did 8 miles of speedwork yesterday, which admittedly, I hate, but, felt so freaking awesome when I was finished, that I couldn't remember why I've been skipping my mid week speed sessions (laziness I'm sure).
I slept in this AM (this cold is killing me!) which means I'll have to fit in a quickie run at lunch and a longer one after work, but, I'm actually really excited about it (is is lunch yet?) because I know how happy I'll be tonight when I wrap up my run. I walk into my house all sweaty and my dogs jump on me because I'm all sorts of stinky and I'm just happy.
Yes, running is hard and hard on your body (hence, why I don't wear heels and or open toed shoes). But, I try my best to be safe and be careful because I want to keep this up for years to come.
I don't think everyone can become a runner, I just don't--you have to want to do it and for some people, that just doesn't happen. My husband will not run, but, he's a cyclist. You couldn't pay me to get on a bike. And the beauty of the situation is, we aren't trying to convert one another. Personally, I really think it would be fun to find a run/bike relay to do, but, how nerdy is that?!
However, I do believe that anyone who wants to run, can. And I want to.
I'm not fast. I'll probably never qualify for Boston, but, that's OK. I just love running. I love the sense of accomplishment after a good run--and, even after the bad ones because I remember that's more than most people will do. I love the feeling I get when I cross the finish line of a race and the elation I feel after tackling a hill. But, that's just me. I made the choice to become a runner. I did. Because I wanted to.
And that's what I always try to remember.
So, with my marathon in one month (still freaking out) I will spend the next month running for me and remembering that all those great runs (and the bad ones) made me who I am--a runner.
And soon, a marathoner.
(Who would have ever thought that I'd be saying this? Wow.)
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
I am feeling inspired! I am contemplating signing up for a half at the end of March. Yet, I'm terrified because the furthest I've ever run is a 5k.
Dont worry the running will kick in and you will find your stride. Jared always feels this way before a marathon.. it just kicks in he says!! good luck baby girl, xxxoo
That is so cool that you'll be a marathoner! So awesome!!
I love running too, but don't think I have a marathon in me. Good Luck and I can't wait to see the pics post marathon!! How exciting and what an accomplishment.
That is so awesome, I am SOOO proud of you!!!
ppsssttt..I am running again :)
ppppsssssttt...we signed up for the OKC half in April. Will you be there?!?!?! I thought you had mentioned that being on a list of "maybe" races!
Hurray for the marathon! You are such a rockstar for running! Have fun with it and enjoy the journey, soon-to-be marathoner. :)
I knew it...
I knew you'd be a marathoner the first day you started running :) You have such a passion for it and it comes through clearly on your blog and in your effort out there on the pavement. Totally, totally inspiring :)
you are awesome!! oh i hope you get to feeling better so soon! I'm so excited for you! I'm going to start running one of these days, and I'm coming to you for inspiration=)!
I agree with not everyone can be a runner. I've tried and tried and tried again. But.. I am a swimmer and I think you, me, and your husband should do a triathlon.
I can't wait to hear how the marathon goes.
alright I just found your blog and am officially using you for inspiration! I'm running two halfs, one in January and one in Feb and I'm already feeling the lack of motivation! But I do LOVE to run, thanks for putting it in perspective!!
I am linking to you as running inspiration- let me know if that is not okay!
Hello again, Miss Princess!
Just wanted to let you know that I mentioned you on my blog today, if you want to check it out. :) Happy Friday!
You are my running inspiration!
I will be there to cheer you on come 11/1!!
Couple of things ... first, I love your approach. There are no rules as to how you should prepare for a marathon, but you're going all-in, giving it your best and seeing what you're made of. I love that approach and I know you're going to leave it all out there, and whether you exceed your goal by 10 minutes or fall short by an hour, you'll have given it your all and you'll always be able to look at that medal with pride.
Second, I don't know if you want to qualify for Boston someday, and it's not the be-all, end-all goal, but never say never. I ran a 2:29:45 in my first-ever race, a half marathon in December 2005. In October 2007, I ran a 3:07:53 for my first Boston qualifier. Never say never! Drop me a line on the side if you ever want feedback or advice.
Post a Comment