Monday, April 6, 2009

SP's Guide To Being Cheap

Not that I am a expert by any means, or have any reason to be offering advice, but, I thought I'd share some $$ saving tips that have really helped us a lot lately. We've had some major unexpected expenses (ER bill, dental work, dogs getting sick) and it's been really overwhelming for me. When we were first married and two broke ass college students, I was really mindful of the little things--then, we had 2 incomes (3 glorious months) and I went a little crazy. Now, we're back to uno and I admit, it's taken me a while to reign myself in, but, I tell you, putting the kabash on my Target trips, and really planning these things out has actually been liberating.

Money doesn't control us, and there's no reason to feel that way. Plus I want to put more $$ into savings and since my job doesn't exactly have us rolling in cash, I need to cut back in other places.


So, without further ado, SP's Money Saving Tips (or how we have survive month to month without ending up at the soup kitchen--thus far)


1. Buy in bulk when you can: We make monthly-ish trips to Costco and buy flats of soup, veggies, rice, pasta, etc. It's also a good place to find deals on fruit and veggies ($1.99 for a big bunch of bananas? Yes please). Buying in bulk is a great way to stock up on staples, which is great if you're a broke ass college student. We also believe in food storage (which is basically having 3 month supply of canned/package foods)--now, I don't support living off the canned stuff, but, growing up, when we literally could not afford groceries, the limitless supply of soup and mac n cheese was comforting. There have been times in our married life when I could not justify a trip to the store and it was very handy to be able to rely on soup, chili and frozen veggies..... Which brings me to my next tip:

2. Make friends with your freezer: Yes, it is an awesome place to keep the vodka, hide the ice cream and save that fruit cake you've had since Christmas '05, but, honestly, the freezer is my best friend. I am retardo and don't ever halve recipes when I cook. I just don't. It's too much work. But, there's only two of us, and often, we don't eat the leftovers and I have to chuck them. No more! A few weeks back, I made a massive (seriously) batch of turkey and veggie ragu. I stuffed it into 3 freezer containers and have used it for lasagna last week--I still have a container of it in my freezer, which means, I don't have to buy anything for my linguine dinner later this week. It's also holding some soup, chicken, and shrimp--all will be used for dinner this week but were purchased and or made weeks ago. It's a great way to cut down on costs if there's only two of you and a standard recipe gives you a lot left over. Of course, I realize this won't fly with left over haters, but, I'm cheap, and heck, I'll eat darn near anything.

3. Left overs are also your friend: I know, I won't convert people--I'm not trying to. It's just an important aspect to money saving, if you can. Example: I made baked chicken with potatoes for dinner a few nights back. Neither my husband nor myself finished our servings of chicken, so, I shredded it up and made myself a spinach salad with chicken for lunch yesterday (also, sidenote: I rarely buy my lunch unless I'm going out with friends or colleagues. I haven't purchased lunch in months--again, liberating. $5 for lunch at the deli adds up, man!). There's still plenty of chicken, so, I may have a chicken salad sandwich tomorrow. My husband goes to school, so, he usually buys his lunch, but, if we have good leftovers at home, he is more likely to eat when he gets home than drop $8 at Subway. We try--it's all about balance.

4. Eat in: I realize that I cook probably way more than the average person (I cook usually every night--unless I've had a terrible day, and exhausted or sick--or if we have plans), but, I am slightly obsessive about cooking if it's at all possible--if that means cooking a bunch of food on the weekend and freezing it so you have easy meals during the week, that's great! I am always just blown away at how much money we spend when we go out. Example: I bought tilapia for $3.99 the other day--if we'd gone out for tilapia, it would have been $10-15/person depending on the restaurant (if not more). And, I also like to control what I eat. I don't like lots of butter, etc. The last time we went out to dinner was 2 weeks ago and it was Chipotle because I was too exhausted to cook. I realize that 2 weeks isn't a long time, but, in the grand scheme of things, it's a good start. I have our meals planned for the next 2 weeks and I shop based on our meal plan. I have a ton of cookbooks and am constantly looking through them for new ideas. Also, CookingLight.com, Foodnetwork.com and AllRecipes.com are awesome.

5. Shop around: Easier said than done, but, do it if you can. I know for example that the seafood section at one store is much less expensive than the seafood section at another store. If that means I have to make an extra stop, I'll do it if I can. I also try to buy things on sale, use my little reward cards and only buy what we need. Also, be picky! I eat English muffins for breakfast pretty regularly--guess what? I buy Orowheat because at my store, they are less expensive than Thomas and basically the exact same nutrition info. I buy store brand milk, eggs, butter--the essentials. I will not however, buy store brand frozen waffles or PopTarts. We couldn't have regular PopTarts when I was a kid and let me tell you, Safeway brand kind are ick! I haven't had a PopTart in years, but, that's beside the point. On some things, I just don't bend.


6. Cut back on hair color/cuts when you can: I use my Clairol Root Touch up and color my hair at home regularly. I also go to SuperCuts for trims. I get a pro hair cut and color every 6 months or so, but can maintain it pretty well myself and with the assistance of a $15 hair cut. I realize this may not be feasible for those with fancy highlights and a killer cut--but, I realized that for us, and our budget, I was spending too much money on my expensive "hand painted" highlights--besides, I like myself better as a redhead! So, if you need a trim, I'd suggest SuperCuts. And, Clairol Root Touch Up really is heaven sent.


OK, so, have I overwhelmed you with my cheapness? I hope not. Once SP is a famous author, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will force (read: kidnap) Giada to be my personal chef, and I will be shopping at Whole Foods, Central Market and will be convinced that Saks is budget shopping.

Until then, we try to cut our expenses and plan for the future. After all, we're going to have to survive somehow if I ever do want to be a SAHM while writing. It's a goal.

We aren't perfect, we aren't total penny pinchers--I have a very expensive Target and Sephora habits, and we have 3 very spoiled animals. Even so, we have been able to really stretch a dollar lately, and right now, that can't hurt.

What are your frugal tips?

19 comments:

TUWABVB said...

Lots of great tips! We have totally cut back on eating out - from about 5 times a week before we moved to about 3 times a month.

Also, I'm going to get my hair colored professionally today for the first time since November. I think that's pretty good...I used the Root-Touch-Up the first time and dyed it myself the second time and now it's time to have it done professionally! If I can cut that down to 2-3 times a year rather than every 6 weeks (9xs a year) that's about $450 a year!

Milltini said...

Very very good tips!

Mojito Maven said...

these tips are awesome! too bad i really need to follow the cook at home rule...oops...my bank account hates me.

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Good tips!

My husband & I are spenders by nature, but keeping an eye fixed on long term goals (similar to some you've mentioned here, actually) helps us rein it in & save. Although we really enjoy eating out, we cut back in other areas; for example, I do pro highlights, but have toned down the blonde so that I can go a lot longer in between appointments.

I also try to stay consistent with my savings budgeting; each month, we throw a certain % at savings & retirement. Really adds up when you make it a regular thing.

Charis said...

Can I share Giada with you? Like, every other day? I'll supply the masking tape :)

Good tips! And I'm a big leftover fan too...still have to get up on that 'make more than you need and freeze it' deal though...

Becky said...

One of my favorite things to do is Crockpot a whole chicken, and usually with the cooked meat, I can get 3 whole meals out of it. In this case, a little really does go a long way!
My other big thing is to avoid using credit cards like the plague. Living a cash-only lifestyle is H*A*R*D, especially when once upon a time, plastic was your best friend. But it's so rewarding!!!

Lucky in Love said...

We got to Costco regularly for our fruit, milk, and meat. I'm also a pretty obsessive cook...and prepare a meal every night...except for when we have plans. I plan these meals weekly and only shop for the ingredients that I need. My hubs and I both take our lunch to work so we're no longer losing money there. It's working so far...

d.a.r. said...

Awesome awesome tips!! I am a big fan of meal planning and freezing portions for later meals. It really helps stretch that grocery budget!

LyndsAU said...

great tips and girl, left overs and the freezer are sooo my friend :) absolutely! and hubs doesn't mind!

Andi said...

I am so cheap when it comes to groceries. I also stock pile canned corn, black beans, and canned tomato products. They can be used with everything! The amount of money my husband and I have saved since we stopped eating out during the week is embarrassing.

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

these are great tips! thank you! i'm saving this post.

i've really cut back on buying "stuff." my problem lately is eating out at lunch time. it's killing my bank account. i went through my check register and every single thing is a lunch item. ugh.

it sounds like you're doing great!

Lavender Lily said...

great suggestions! (i tried to use another word besides 'tips' haha!)

another recipe website i like is kraftfoods.com. the recipes are pretty simple, and the ingredients are things you will typically have on hand. if you are a fancy cook, you might not like this site as well.

i also buy mostly store brand items, such as butter, cheese, cans of soup and veggies, but there are definitely some things that i splurge on the fancy brands, too.

everything in moderation, right?

great post!

{amy k.} said...

Oh girl- I'm the same way with leftovers and brand names... There are a lot of things that store brand is just fine, but other things (like Eggo's) just can't be cheapened.

I need to be better about freezing stuff.... it's the same for my hubby and I- just the 2 of us and we always have leftovers. He takes lunch to work so leftovers are good for that but sometimes I feel like we have stuff we toss. I was thinking if I portion it out before we eat we'll eat less (which will be good for us because we eat too much) and have more to eat later on... that's one of my goals!

I buy in bulk too. Although, I have found it's not always the better deal. Usually it is, but if you don't care about the brand name then often times it's cheaper to buy individual.

I've also noticed that a few of the store brand items in one of our grocery stores is not only cheaper but healthier compared to the big brand name which I thought was strange... but true! :)

Great post- keep sharing your ideas!

amelia said...

love all these tips!! i cut my own hair at home, and only go to the salon once, maaaybe twice a year.

but i have a very expensive target habit too.

damn you target! you go in for 2 things and come out with 98 dollars worth of ?????

Kaci said...

Awesome tips chick!

Adventures in Newlywed said...

Fabulous tips! We have started eating at home a lot more often and I've actually enjoyed it!

tootie said...

Good tips! We freeze a lot of our leftovers, too. And I try to make a large portion for our dinners, so we can have the leftovers the next day for lunch.

Miss Muddy Paws said...

I am so glad a friend introduced me to your blog! I too enjoy trying to live a frugal lifestyle (when possible), but am a self admitted Gilt.com & RueLaLa.com addict.

You might enjoy reading my blog, www.TheWetNose.blogspot.com, as I have numerous posts regarding pinching pennies when it comes to pet expenses... don't worry, your pet's quality of food, life, and love will not suffer!

Heather said...

These are great suggestions!