Sort of. BFF C's husband is a doctor (C just happens to be a lawyer--I know!), but, not a practicing doctor and after 3.5 days of excruciating pain and several nights of hysterical tears, I broke down and called him. Because I'm afraid of actually going to a doctor or hospital, duh.
He doesn't think I'm dying, which is good, because I'm not ready yet (I haven't learned Italian!), but suggested I call a doctor or check-y check myself into the ER if it doesn't get better. Now, please, allow me to replay the convo with another doctor's assistant this AM:
He doesn't think I'm dying, which is good, because I'm not ready yet (I haven't learned Italian!), but suggested I call a doctor or check-y check myself into the ER if it doesn't get better. Now, please, allow me to replay the convo with another doctor's assistant this AM:
Me: "Hi, I need an appointment today. Like now. I need to get in as soon as possible. I'm in intense stomach pain and can hardly breathe. I've been sick since Monday and I can't work, I can't sleep, I can't do anything. I need help."
Assistant: "OK, how about 11:15--"
Me: (thinking to self 'well, that's a little early, I am on deadline today.... whatever') "Great!"
Assistant: " On Monday."
Me: "OK. There's nothing earlier? I need to come in today."
Assistant: "No."
Me: "Not even a referral?"
Assistant: "No. Can I get your name and insurance?"
So, after twenty minutes of "No, that's not how you spell my name!" and "I told you I have insurance" later, I ask about the cancellation policy:
Assistant: "Oh, you want to cancel?"Me: "No, but, if I need to cancel, I mean, I need to see someone today, and, so, if I cancel on Sunday, will you charge me? Since it's 24 hours notice?"
Assistant: "Um... No. I think you'll be OK. I just cancelled it."
Me: "WHAT?"
Assistant: "Oh. You meant our cancelation policy? It's OK. I'll fix it.....So, you're coming in for stomach pain?"
Me: (very annoyed at this point, because yeah, sure, stomach pain, take some Advil and Maalox, you're good to go, this is like death) "Well, yes, stomach pain. I can't eat, I'm the size of a house, I'm nauseous, I am so puffy that I can't breathe, it's putting pressure on my back, my ribs and my chest and I'm in severe, severe pain."
Assistant: (in an all too chipper tone) "OK, see you Monday."
So, I have an appointment on Monday (which I am fairly certain I will be cancelling today).
If I have to suffer through this on my 3-day weekend, there is a real chance someone might get hurt. Besides me.
Wish me luck.
Wish me luck.
Any doctors out there?
**Update**
After being harassed by my "second mothers" at work (bless them) my husband picked me up and took me to the ER. After 4 hours and numerous lovely tests later, I was discharged with several prescriptions, a referral to another doctor, and instructions to come back if I'm still in pain in 12 hours. It's been 2 and I still want to die. BFF C's husband called to check on me--I get the feeling he thinks it's an ulcer. Fun!
Thanks for your kind words and concern--hopefully this will pass in the next few hours. Until then, I'm takin' my meds and goin' to sleep.
**Update**
After being harassed by my "second mothers" at work (bless them) my husband picked me up and took me to the ER. After 4 hours and numerous lovely tests later, I was discharged with several prescriptions, a referral to another doctor, and instructions to come back if I'm still in pain in 12 hours. It's been 2 and I still want to die. BFF C's husband called to check on me--I get the feeling he thinks it's an ulcer. Fun!
Thanks for your kind words and concern--hopefully this will pass in the next few hours. Until then, I'm takin' my meds and goin' to sleep.


11 comments:
Oh no!! I hope you're okay! What's going on???
What a retarded assistant! Okay, so I hope you are doing alright right now. I'd probably be in the ER (I am a big baby when it comes to pain and illness) and it will probably be difficult to schedule a Dr's appointment for today. I hope you get better!
I am so SORRY to hear that you are not feeling well. We have a lot of medical offices that see patients here after 5pm and that keeps you from going to the emergency room. If you don't have anything like that where you are, I would go to the emergency room. I would not wait until Monday. Monday is a holiday too. Please know that I am praying for you, my new blogger friend and Pink Swap partner!! I noticed that you are waiting for Harper to be born today too. Isn't it exciting?
Bless your heart! That doesn't sound like any fun. I do hope you will have a HEALTY weekend! Best of luck!
Sounds ICKY! So sorry you are in pain and that you have to deal with nonunderstanding cheery receptionists. But I agree...if you are in pain don't wait too long. Your body is telling you something just aint right! Ok, and how fun is this blog community....I read up above how someone said that they noticed you were ALSO waiting for Harper to be born. Is it sad that one of the first things I checked this morning to see how Kelly (someone I don't know) has had her beautiful little Harper...lol. I love the blog world! We are spread out all over the place but we are all united in a way. Ok, feel better now!
I wish I could help you. Is there a doc in the box nearby?
Oh, no! Can you go to one of those walk-in emergency clinics? Think they have longer hours / less hassle than the traditional doctor's office.
And in case it makes you feel better - "The soft underbelly of my privileged upbringing . . .is my soft underbelly." Maybe a Prius to the nearest doctor's shins would do the trick . . .
This sounds horrible. I would try to go to an urgent care clinic. Let us know what is going on!
Oh no!! I was totally in the ER today too. Yet it was because of something entirely different. :(
Perhaps it's fate I found your blog. I love it! You write beautifully. :)
i am so sorry. i hope you are feeling better. it's good to have doctor friends, huh? hopefully it's nothing big - keep us all updated
Oh my gosh. I hope you're feeling better.
Don't you sometimes wish you could reach your hands into the telephone and slap the person on the other end. What an idiot. I hope you're feeling better and get/got to cancel that appointment.
Post a Comment